[sumo-user] modeling rural area, intermodal trips by duarouter - multiple walking overachievers

[sumo-user] modeling rural area, intermodal trips by duarouter - multiple walking overachievers

Richter Gerald
Hi all.

When modeling a rural / peri-urban area with some bus lines
I am trying to implement people who leave their home and take the bus.

This has been working fine in principle, but the disturbing thing is,
that many pedestrians are willing to walk very long distances
- probably due to the low bus frequencies - and while this behavior
might be time-optimal
it does not seem very realistic.

What options do I have to tweak this towards more realism?
I found the 'persontrip.walkfactor' but even on 0.1 persons do
occasionally accept rather long walks,
which might just be the case in rural areas.

Does anyone have some experience with that kind of problem?

Thanks,
Gerald

Re: [sumo-user] modeling rural area, intermodal trips by duarouter - multiple walking overachievers

Jakob Erdmann
If waiting for the bus takes 10 times longer than a long-distance walk you may want to check your bus schedule or network for consistency. Possibly there is no usable bus ride at all.
The easy way to check this would be to run with walkfactor=0.00001 and see if walking still occurs.

Granted, it may still be useful to introduce the concept of maximum walking distance as an additional routing constraint: https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/7547