[sumo-user] ego and foe velocity 2-D vectors in SSM output

[sumo-user] ego and foe velocity 2-D vectors in SSM output

Ishan Dindorkar
Dear SUMO User Community,

I am looking at SSM output data and would like to use ego and foe velocity data points during any conflict for my calculations. I found that it is a list of 2D vectors, as mentioned in the documentation. But I couldn't understand the reason for having a vector of values for a specific timestep. For coordinates, it is understood to have a vector of X and Y coordinates but for velocities, it is not very clear. I would appreciate it if you could please help me understand the reasoning behind this.
Also, I found one minor mistake in SUMO documentation -

In the description section for elements of conflict type, for foeVelocity field, description is given as "Timeseries of the ego vehicle's velocity vectors"

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
Ishan Dindorkar

Re: [sumo-user] ego and foe velocity 2-D vectors in SSM output

behrisch
Administrator
Hi,
thanks for noting the typos, I fixed them.
Regarding your question, the velocity vector encodes not only the
magnitude but also the direction of movement of the vehicle (so the
orientation if you want although the vehicle may move in a different
direction than its front is pointing to). So (13,0) means it moves with
13m/s in x direction and not at all in y direction (so it is probably on
a horizontal street).

Best regards,
Michael