[sumo-user] Upgrade to Latest version - Netedit and GUI do not work on old files

[sumo-user] Upgrade to Latest version - Netedit and GUI do not work on old files

John Doggett
I developed many simulations in SUMO three years ago and have now just
started a new project. So I downloaded the latest version. After many
Win10 errors I have got a Netedit window up. When I load a network that
I have just completed in the old version it seems to load and then the
window goes completely black and the app hangs. The same is true of
running the GUI. The last simulation I have loads then blank black screen.

Any advice?

John

Re: [sumo-user] Upgrade to Latest version - Netedit and GUI do not work on old files

Jakob Erdmann
Your issue is unexpected as we routinely load old networks on Win10 PCs.
What were those "many Win10" errors you encountered?
Things to try:
- updating graphics drivers
- try running 'sumo -n yournet.net.xml -v' and 'netconvert -s yournet.net.xml -v'
- load a network from the documentation examples

regards,
Jakob

Am Fr., 18. Dez. 2020 um 20:00 Uhr schrieb John Doggett <[hidden email]>:
I developed many simulations in SUMO three years ago and have now just
started a new project. So I downloaded the latest version. After many
Win10 errors I have got a Netedit window up. When I load a network that
I have just completed in the old version it seems to load and then the
window goes completely black and the app hangs. The same is true of
running the GUI. The last simulation I have loads then blank black screen.

Any advice?

John

Re: [sumo-user] Upgrade to Latest version - Netedit and GUI do not work on old files

Weronika
Hi,
I just wanted to write my own email, but I saw this one. I think the issue which I am facing today can be connected.
Does any network work for you John? For example like Jakob suggested the documentation examples.

For me I can see the black screen in sumo-gui and also netedit, even if I load an easy example from the documentation.
A few days ago it all worked good, I didn't change anything and today is black. (if I make the window smaller then it gets green)
If I load the whole simulation in sumo-gui then the whole action seems to take part, but with a black screen.

I tried on different SUMO versions (one from today and one which worked for me before) and with the same result.
I run  'sumo -n yournet.net.xml -v' and 'netconvert -s yournet.net.xml -v' in the console and it runs correctly

I will try with graphics drivers, but the weird thing that everything was fine a few days ago....
Zrzut ekranu 2020-12-18 o 19.02.32 1.png
Zrzut ekranu 2020-12-18 o 19.02.35.png

best,
Weronika

pt., 18 gru 2020 o 21:22 Jakob Erdmann <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
[...]

Weronika,
Yes the tutorial networks loaded quickly, no problem. But all my old nets and sims take 4 mins to load.
Regards,
John

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 18, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Weronika <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

- Please provide the smallest network that triggers the error for you
- Can you check whether the problem differs when using different sumo versions? (1.8.0, 1.7.0, 1.6.0)?

Am Sa., 19. Dez. 2020 um 00:17 Uhr schrieb John <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Jacob,

Attached is my net.xml file. I tried v1.7.0 same problem results. Also I now get the problem on the quickstart tutorial. Also I get a repeat of the MS error I sent you last as the 64 bit version gets loaded into the Program(86) folder. If I move it to and execute from the Program folder it comes up fine, loads the network and then goes black for about 4 mins and eventually the network appears and can be edited.

Regards,

John

gatewayeast.net.xml (538K) Download Attachment

Re: [sumo-user] Upgrade to Latest version - Netedit and GUI do not work on old files

Jakob Erdmann
- do you have cpu-load while the screen is black?
- is there any effect by network size on black-screen-time?
- what is the output of calling 'sumo' on the command line? (or c:\
your\path\to\bin\sumo if the bin folder is not found automatically)

Am Sa., 19. Dez. 2020 um 17:34 Uhr schrieb John Doggett <[hidden email]>:

[...]

joerg

Maybe this helps:

Some of my students had problems with a black or green gui window.

One of them had two graphic processors on the system (probably one inside the CPU and another on an external graphics card).

After explicitly disabling one of them, the SUMO GUI and netedit worked as it should.

Best,

Joerg

On 21/12/20 11:59, Jakob Erdmann wrote:
[...]

Jakob,

The cpu load runs about 7-12% with spikes to 50%. Appears not to be network size related. Output calling sumo is:

Regards,

John

On 12/21/2020 5:59 AM, Jakob Erdmann wrote:
[...]

[sumo-user] Two Problems: Traffic only travels on one lane of a two lane road and Restricted Bus Lane produces error with Bus stop

John Doggett

Jakob,

I am modeling a proposed restricted buslane that cuts across three busy intersections in our town. I have the model working but have two problems: a two lane edge defined has only one lane being used when the simulation runs; and an error message occurs when a bus-top is place on a restricted bus lane.

The LH image below shows the traffic on the 2-lane Washington Street is only using one lane of the roadway after the two single lane feeder roads. Nearly all the traffic turns east at the major intersection with the divided highway. I cannot get the model to reflect the real world where both lanes are fully occupied at this hour.

The model without the bus lane runs the buses fine and they stop at the bus stop on the edge as marked. Then, I created a new network with the edge/lane rte9e6_0 defined as being a restricted bus lane with bus stop, but get the following error message:

Any advice to fix these two problems?

Regards,

John

Re: [sumo-user] Two Problems: Traffic only travels on one lane of a two lane road and Restricted Bus Lane produces error with Bus stop

Maria.Armellini

Hi John,

Maybe I can help you.

Regarding the problem with the 2-lane street: have you checked the connections? Please try changing the connections of the junction before the crossway (see image). It looks like that the majority of the vehicles want to turn left on the crossway. If the vehicles want to turn left, they will only use the left lane, because if they stay on the right one, they will not be able to access to the left lanes of the last 3-lanes edge.

As for the error message, have you checked that the vClass of your vehicle “BUS65I1” is “bus”?

Regards,

Giuliana

Re: [sumo-user] Two Problems: Traffic only travels on one lane of a two lane road and Restricted Bus Lane produces error with Bus stop

John Doggett
Hi Guiliana,
The vClass addition fixed the bus problem, thanks!
I am still having trouble with simulating the two lanes of traffic going to three at the crossway. I have checked all the junctions and there are two paths all the way through ending on the three lane crossway, which has a left turn only lane as the third lane with two thru lanes.
Most of the traffic does turn left onto the crossway but there should be two lanes queued up, not one.
I have changed a few lane changing model parameters such as lcKeepRight="0.5”, lcStrategic="0.3” and lcOverTakeRight="1", but I still cannot get the simulation traffic to occupy both lanes. Any further thoughts how I might accomplish this?
Regards,
John

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 29, 2020, at 7:10 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi John,

Maybe I can help you.

Regarding the problem with the 2-lane street: have you checked the connections? Please try changing the connections of the junction before the crossway (see image). It looks like that the majority of the vehicles want to turn left on the crossway. If the vehicles want to turn left, they will only use the left lane, because if they stay on the right one, they will not be able to access to the left lanes of the last 3-lanes edge.

<image006.png>

As for the error message, have you checked that the vClass of your vehicle “BUS65I1” is “bus”?

Regards,

Giuliana

I am modeling a proposed restricted buslane that cuts across three busy intersections in our town. I have the model working but have two problems: a two lane edge defined has only one lane being used when the simulation runs; and an error message occurs when a bus-top is place on a restricted bus lane.

The LH image below shows the traffic on the 2-lane Washington Street is only using one lane of the roadway after the two single lane feeder roads. Nearly all the traffic turns east at the major intersection with the divided highway. I cannot get the model to reflect the real world where both lanes are fully occupied at this hour.

<image007.png>

<image008.png>

The model without the bus lane runs the buses fine and they stop at the bus stop on the edge as marked. Then, I created a new network with the edge/lane rte9e6_0 defined as being a restricted bus lane with bus stop, but get the following error message:

<image005.png>

Any advice to fix these two problems?

Regards,

John

Re: [sumo-user] Two Problems: Traffic only travels on one lane of a two lane road and Restricted Bus Lane produces error with Bus stop

Maria.Armellini

Hi John,

You can then try connecting the 1-edge lane only to the right lane of the 2-lane edge (see image). This will increase the queue in the right lanes, but I´m really not sure that this is the best solution the modeling perspective. Keep the value of lcStrategy under 1 as well, which will reduce the forecast distance that affects the choice of the strategic lane.

Regards,

Giuliana

Re: [sumo-user] Two Problems: Traffic only travels on one lane of a two lane road and Restricted Bus Lane produces error with Bus stop

John Doggett

Hi Jakob,

Below is I think the diagram you want. I am trying to take traffic engineers Synchro volumes at peak hour and calibrate the model to match their predicted queue lengths. At junction "A" two single lanes of traffic are merged into 2 lane roads from "A"-"F". In general the traffic at junction "A" is in large headed for junction "F" where it splits roughly 50-50, so there are a lot of vehicles which want to turn left at "F".

I followed Guiliana's advice and at junction "A", I switched the RH fork road lane to join the right lane and the LH fork to join the left lane. This has largely "fixed" the problem at junction "C". However there is still a problem between "C" and "D" as well as between "E" and "F" where left turning vehicles wait and block the RH lane (see second screen shot).

The Left turning vehicles often seem to make a very early decision to change lanes, when the normal driving behavior is to change late - I just drove through this intersection myself this am, and I go left at junction "F", but am in the RH lane until I reach the left turn only lanes at "F".

Is there a control or parameter that could specify this, so that the simulation traffic can be made to behave more akin to the real world?

Regards,

John

On 1/4/2021 5:07 AM, Jakob Erdmann wrote:
[...]

I think the whole problem arises between E and F where the road widens. Vehicles on the right lane of the 2-lane part may expect problems getting onto the left turn lanes of the 4-lane part in heavy traffic.
This has an impact all the way back to vehicles between A and C (otherwise the connections between B and C are fine to let people turn on both lanes at C and you shouldn't have to change any connections at A).

A workaround is to define a zipper merge between E and F with connection layout as pictured (this assures vehicles that someone will let them merge onto the left turn lanes so they don't have to change early)

As Guiliana said, you can also lower the strategic foresight distance by setting a lower value of lcStrategic.
Note, that the actual foresight distance also depends on the traffic level (if the roads are jammed, vehicles will assume lane changing to be difficult and try to change earlier).

Screenshot from 2021-01-05 06-54-35.png

regards,
Jakob