[sumo-user] Evacuation simulation with SUMO

[sumo-user] Evacuation simulation with SUMO

Osman Khalid
Respected members

I want to model a population evacuation from a source towards a destination going through road network. The conditions of roads may vary during simulation, as usually happen in disaster scenarios. Moreover, the congestion on roads will also vary. Also I want to reroute the vehicles depending on the road conditions.

I have no experience of sumo, I have just downloaded it and not getting idea from where to begin. Also what simulation module fits best on my scenario, mesoscopic, microscopic, and macroscopic, depending what sumo provides.

Any sort of guidance in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Osman

Re: [sumo-user] Evacuation simulation with SUMO

Maria.Armellini

Hi Osman,

you can find a lot of information in the wiki, see https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/index.html.

Here you can find some general information about SUMO and its applications https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/SUMO_at_a_Glance.html and here https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/FAQ.html#general the FAQ.

Maybe you can start with some tutorials: https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Tutorials.html.

Finally, you can reroute vehicles in SUMO using a rerouter, see https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Simulation/Rerouter.html.

Regards,

Giuliana

Re: [sumo-user] Evacuation simulation with SUMO

Jakob Erdmann
The choice between microscopi and mesoscopic basically comes down to scenario size. Mesoscopic runs faster and is more forgiving of network modelling errors due having a coarser intersection model. Sumo does provide macroscopic routing with the marouter package but does not allow to change the network while the "simulation" is running.
For an idea on simulation setup see "Experiment Study on the Evacuation of Bomb Alert with SUMO" in https://elib.dlr.de/106342/

regards,
Jakob