[sumo-user] Definition of Brake Gap in secureBackGap and secureFrontGap

[sumo-user] Definition of Brake Gap in secureBackGap and secureFrontGap

Bae, Jong In
Hello,

In the source code of Krauss model's secureBackGap and secureFrontGap, the model is calculating 'follower brake gap' and 'leader brake gap'.
What would be the definitions of these two terms?

Also, would I be correct if I understand secureBackGap and secureFrontGap as the distance that follower and leader require to safely slow down?
If so, what is the speed that the follower and leader are slowing down to?

Thank you!

Re: [sumo-user] Definition of Brake Gap in secureBackGap and secureFrontGap

Jakob Erdmann
In the source code of Krauss model's secureBackGap and secureFrontGap, the model is calculating 'follower brake gap' and 'leader brake gap'.
What would be the definitions of these two terms?

Also, would I be correct if I understand secureBackGap and secureFrontGap as the distance that follower and leader require to safely slow down?
If so, what is the speed that the follower and leader are slowing down to?

It is the distance that the car following model deems "secure". For 'Krauss' this would be the minimum distance at which no collision occurs if the leader and follower brake to standstill from their current speeds with their configured deceleration (after reaction time tau of the follower). Other models (i.e. IDM) have a different implementation of getSecureGap.

Re: [sumo-user] Definition of Brake Gap in secureBackGap and secureFrontGap

Bae, Jong In

In this code, what would be the definition of brake gap?

Thank you!